Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion is a renewable electricity source that uses the natural temperature difference in tropical oceans between the surface water and deep water. Oceanpotential.com enables you to perform an online pre-assessment of this resource for any area around the globe. Assessment are based on multiple global datasets and this data is used to come to an initial and comprehensive analysis of the availability of the resource. Furthermore an initial economic analysis can be made as well.
Oceanpotential.com provides a wide range of information
- First, it allows to evaluate the potential of any given location throughout the world for using ocean thermal energy. This assessment relies on state-of-the-art datasets for bathymetry and temperature. For the specified region, Oceanpotential.com computes whether sufficient temperature differences (20°C or more) between the deeper waters and the near-surface are present. In practice such temperature differences are only found in tropical oceans, as will be further explained in the next chapter.
- In addition, the tool also provides preliminary information regarding the associated financial aspects that may be relevant. The tool computes the distance from the shore to areas for which vertical temperature differences are sufficient for OTEC installations. It also indicates at what depth the cold water should be taken in for various ranges of temperature differences and provides a representation of the underlying bathymetric profile from the location to the shore.
- Oceanpotential.com also suggests the most attractive sites within the selected area for either onshore or offshore installations for various vertical temperature ranges. In this case the best locations are based on the shortest distance from the shore for a given temperature difference between warm source and cold source.
An initial set of requirements for Oceanpotential.com was defined
- The outcome of the pre-assessment must be reliable;
- The tool must be able to provide an assessment for any area on Earth;
- The procedure for the assessment must be fully-automated;
- A number of requirements regarding the overall quality of the data follow thereof.
Oceanpotential.com is brought to you by Bluerise…
Bluerise is a technology provider and project developer for Ocean Thermal Energy systems. Activities include the realization of onshore and offshore Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC), Seawater Air-Conditioning (SWAC), and Ocean Ecoparks. Bluerise develops its products and services for tropical islands and coastal regions, including the so-called Small Island Developing States (SIDS). These regions with their population centers near the coast do not only have fast growing energy demands, but also the advantage of ideal conditions for deploying Ocean Thermal Energy technologies. The development and use of Ocean Thermal Energy in tropical regions can be game-changing and instrumental in helping nations to achieve a sustainable future. Bluerise helps local communities meet their energy, food, and water needs. Please find more information at Bluerise.nl.
… and validated by Deltares
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Throughout the world, Deltares works on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. Their main focus is on deltas, coastal regions and river basins.
Deltares was asked by Bluerise to comment on the general quality of each dataset and to explicit possible limitations for the purpose of the pre-assessment. In addition Deltares was also asked by Bluerise to review the procedure with which the geographic data is analysed (technically and logically) in order to carry out the assessment, as well as the information the assessment tool displays.
The validation focused exclusively on verifying that the processing of the data by Bluerise in the Ocean Potential tool was correct and logical. This validation was carried out by selecting an arbitrary region (the island of Curaçao), and comparing the outcome of the Ocean Potential pre-assessment in terms of provided temperature and bathymetric information, to temperature and bathymetry profiles computed independently by Deltares using the same logics. The validation did not focus on whether the underlying datasets matched other independent existing information.